Thursday, October 31, 2013

the meticulous madness

When Boulder Symphony conductor Devin Patrick Hughes asked me to compose something for his orchestra last year, I remembered Al Pacino's immortal mob metaphor from the Godfather: "Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in."  I'd grown up playing violin, but in its heart of hearts, the orchestra is an institution that's tried its best to remain unchanged for centuries.  I was also trying to figure out  some of my new guitar effects which were so glitchy I couldn't even get most of the notes to work.  But Devin is one of the only guys I know who will goad me to be more creative than I really am and it was only a matter of time before I came up with [glitch].  As it turned out, even more impressive than coming up with this stuff was how the Boulder Symphony Orchestra was brave enough to actually perform it!

Last month, I was stunned to hear back from maestro Mattias IA Ecklundh, and he was able to update me with the latest: "There's more madness on youtube.com/freakguitartv and loads to come, rest assure... on the run to Berlin to mix an album with Jonas Hellborg, moi and the fabulous Ranjit Barot on drums."

Now the Favored Nations record label that currently distributes Ecklundh's recordings is owned by the one and only Steve Vai, a past master who had originally emerged as Frank Zappa's "stunt guitarist" in the 80s.  This seemingly Zen artiste had proceeded to enlist in the band Alcatrazz after Yngwie Malmsteen, with David Lee Roth after Eddie Van Halen, and in Whitesenake after Vivian Campbell.  Each time proceeding to shred the comparisons with  over-the-top displays that simultaneously re-appropriated and perfected the techniques of his illustrious predecessors.


 In 2002, the eternal quest for ever greater platforms led him to a symphonic phase of his own.  In this clip, there are some interview excerpts where he really sums up what it's like when the musical worlds collide - and peppered with glimpses into his performance and the meticulous madness that is his own righteous gift.

1 comment:

  1. I might actually go to more symphony performances if they included pieces like this with Vai and the NNO.
    [glitch] is marvelous. Why does it remind me of Gershwin? The pace, or “city” feel?

    ReplyDelete